Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to P-Car Power Home

Go Back   P-Car Power Forums > General > General Discussion
Register All Albums FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-14-2012, 08:11 PM   #1
Bigboi's911S
2nd Gear Member

Default Shell V-Power vs. Ultra 94

Hey guys,
alright - I've heard the debate - wanted to know which one you guys prefer? I've been an Ultra 94 guy for years now, but I have recently tried Shell a few times and suffered no ill effects...

Thoughts? comments?
Enlighten me....
Bigboi's911S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:31 PM   #2
Stevie
1st Gear Member

I've also been a 94 guy, but for the past few years, but now i get what i can find as long as its 91 and above. Couldn't be bothered looking around for 94 anymore. No ill effects either.
Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:08 PM   #3
BH911
Administrator

I've also heard many debates when it comes to fuel. From what i heard is that Shell V-Power apparently has a higher content of ethanol, and added detergents to supposedly clean our engines. Makes me question if these additives are actually beneficial to us, or is it a "filler" to give us the least amount of fuel for the most amount of profit? I'm a little skeptical when it comes to oil companies. Ultra 94 would be my choice just because it's simply a fuel with a higher octane content...or is it?? lol

Either way, i used to go out of my way to find ultra 94, especially in my old supercharged bmw, but i couldn't be bothered anymore. I find no difference in either one, and if there actually is a difference, then it's too miniscule to notice. Convenience takes over for me.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:17 PM   #4
DkmD
1st Gear Member

Too much BS with all these oil and fuel claims imo, but i do notice that i get better mileage with Ultra 94.
DkmD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:52 PM   #5
Reflections
1st Gear Member

Shell 91 has no ethanol in it. Ultra 94 however does. To get a higher octane level they use ethanol which has an octane level of 113 on its own. Ethanol eats away at plastic over time which would cause problems long term. However, if you have a turbo engine it might be better to use a Ultra 94 because tuned for it, you'll make more power and some engines can be sensitive to knock even on 91 (specifically older running turbo vehicles).

Ideally you will get better fuel efficiency with Shell V-Power, and better for the long term as well. However, if you have an older turbo or tuned vehicle Ultra 94 would be the way to go.
Reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:02 PM   #6
9964runner
2nd Gear Member

"Shell V-Power apparently has a higher content of ethanol" FWIW I believe V-power is ethanol free, mid grade is 5% and low grade is 10%. Personally haven't noticed any dramatic changes in performance/mileage between brands, I do however run V-power late in the season prior to storage to keep the ethanol out of the fuel system.

The fuel debate in the P-car world pales in comparison to that in the world of power boats. Purchased a boat last year, both Mercruser and the dealer recommend running the tank empty for storage if your using ethanol fuel!
9964runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:09 PM   #7
boman993
Bunny Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflections View Post
Shell 91 has no ethanol in it. Ultra 94 however does. To get a higher octane level they use ethanol which has an octane level of 113 on its own. Ethanol eats away at plastic over time which would cause problems long term. However, if you have a turbo engine it might be better to use a Ultra 94 because tuned for it, you'll make more power and some engines can be sensitive to knock even on 91 (specifically older running turbo vehicles).

Ideally you will get better fuel efficiency with Shell V-Power, and better for the long term as well. However, if you have an older turbo or tuned vehicle Ultra 94 would be the way to go.
THIS!!! ^^^

I only use Shell VPower to avoid any ethanol in my fuel system.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:03 AM   #8
BH911
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflections View Post

Great info! My bad, i thought i heard that shell 91 had the ethanol, i guess i was mistaken. Does make more sense for Ultra 94 to have it. So it's basically a toss up between higher octane which means ethanol injected, or lower octane without the ethanol. How about the other brands of fuel, for instance Esso 91, Pioneer, etc? I think i gotta start paying more attention to my fuels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9964runner View Post
"Shell V-Power apparently has a higher content of ethanol" FWIW I believe V-power is ethanol free, mid grade is 5% and low grade is 10%. Personally haven't noticed any dramatic changes in performance/mileage between brands, I do however run V-power late in the season prior to storage to keep the ethanol out of the fuel system.

The fuel debate in the P-car world pales in comparison to that in the world of power boats. Purchased a boat last year, both Mercruser and the dealer recommend running the tank empty for storage if your using ethanol fuel!
Sorry, off topic, but what fuel do you put in the boat? My 5.7L Indmar calls for the 89 so that's what i normally fill. For storage, i usually fill it right up, and add some fuel stabilizer to it.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:24 AM   #9
Zookie@SCB
Gumball'er 2010

I have gone from Esso 91 to Sunoco 94 back to Esso 91 and fiinally to Shell 91 over the last 6 years and 110k+ on my car. Must say my car ran worst with the 94 and the best with the Shell 91
Zookie@SCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:36 PM   #10
9964runner
2nd Gear Member

FWIW. I know a few years back Canadian Tire was buying fuel from Esso, not sure who the supplier is now.

To be honest I'm not sure what went in the old boat, only two marinas on the lake. As for the new boat, it still on it's first tank of fuel but I did add stabilizer for the winter. This year I'll check the marinas to see what they carry, may use jerry cans to save $$ but 130 litres is a lot of cans to haul around!!
9964runner is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: